Singita - Luxury Photo Safari - June 10-19, 2012
About The Photographic Safari
In June 2012 Andy Biggs, Andy Williams and Marc Muench will lead a private group of photographers to South Africa's Sabi Sand Game Reserve for a Luxury Safari at Singita. This safari and workshop combines some of the best lion and leopard wildlife photography anywhere, excellent opportunities to photograph the Big Five and general game, and photographic and digital workflow instruction. We have decided to base this safari at one location -- Singita's Castleton Camp. Our group will have private and exclusive use of this well-kept secret villa located in the heart of the Singita concession. This is a private luxury safari geared specifically toward serious photography and game viewing.
It's About Photography — Lots of it!
This workshop will be very informal and fun. We will be shooting alongside you at all times. We will have discussion and assistance on specialized topics such as, for example, long lens technique, action shooting, wildlife observation, field craft and African animal behavior. Advanced techniques will be constantly discussed, demonstrated and put into practice.
This workshop is about shooting. Lots of shooting. We will all work closely together, sharing our knowledge and experience.
Because of the unique location of this workshop, and the luxury accommodations, this workshop adventure is open to spouses as well as photographers. Even non-photographers will find the locales visited and the wildlife viewing opportunities to be thrilling. The cost for non-photographers is the same as for active participants.
• We have exclusive use of Singita Castleton Camp - a private residence in the Singita concession.
• Singita Sabi Sands has a long history of awards for excellence in lodging and service, including being ranked No. 2 in Top 100 Hotels Overall – Travel + Leisure Magazine World's Best Awards 2011 (USA)
• We have private vehicles throughout the entire safari, with only 1 person per row of seating (the vehicles have 3 rows behind the driver, plus a seat next to the driver if you want to be lower down to the ground.)
• Safari is limited to 9 participants - very exclusive.
* Private air charters between Johannesburg and Singita. The charters allow for added luggage allowance of 35 kgs per person (versus 20kgs for regularly scheduled flights to the Sabi Sands).
• Knowledgeable and passionate safari guides will drive us in open Land Rovers to help us get the images we are after.
• This safari offers superb game viewing and photographic opportunities in one of the finest luxury safari settings in Africa.
• This itinerary focuses on a real wildlife experience from the surroundings of your premier accommodations.
Is This Safari For You?
Here are some key points to help you decide:
1. We welcome photographers of ALL levels. This safari will be conducive to learning from one another and include instruction that will suit everyone’s photographic needs. No question is off limits, no inquiry too basic.
2. We are BIG on photographing in the field. We spend most our time and effort on safari activity and making images. We do meet daily to review images and discuss technique, but this is not a “classroom-intensive” trip. Our "classroom sessions" are optional (although the review sessions are valuable and there is not a more beautiful classroom).
3. Non-photographer or videographer spouses / travel companions will love these safaris. We have specialist guides leading all safari activities and optional activities (boating, walks, etc.) are also available subject to camp restrictions.
June 10 - 11 (1 night) - D'oreale Grande Hotel - Emperor's Palace, Johannesburg, South Africa
Stay close to the airport at the D'oreale Grande at Emperor's Palace. On your arrival at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport, and after clearing customs and collecting your luggage, you will be met by an Eyes on Africa representative, who will transfer you by road to the D'oreale Grande.
Private rooms have been booked for all single travelers.
The D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace is a five-star hotel, luxuriously adorned with hand painted murals and frescos, marble floors, plush carpets, and intricate mosaics. The hotel was recently accepted as a member of Great Hotels of the World – Luxury Collection.
All rooms incorporate air-conditioning, multi-channel satellite TV, complimentary wireless internet access (Wi-Fi) and the convenience of 24-hour room services. Guests can dine at the elegant conservatory-styled Aurelia's restaurant, meet or relax in private conclaves of the reception area, absorb the gentle strains of the piano in the Aurelia's Lounge and Cocktail Bar, or sip on a cocktail while watching the African sunset from a lounge or cocktail bar in the manicured and terraced gardens of the hotel.
The group will transfer back to OR Tambo airport the next morning, where we catch our private charter flight to Singita airstrip. From the airstrip it is a short drive through the reserve to our camp for the next 8 nights.
June 11-19 (8 nights) - Singita Castleton Camp - Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
On arrival at Singita airstrip, we will be met by Singita personnel and transferred to camp (a short game drive in open Land Rovers).
Our group will have private and exclusive use of this lovely homestead and camp throughout our 8-night safari and we will set our own hours and schedule to allow us to take full advantage of photographic opportunities.
Once the private home of the owners of Singita - the Bailes family, Castleton is now available for groups of up to twelve guests at a time. Surrounding the classic stone farmhouse with its wide verandah, the six chalets at Castleton are luxuriously appointed in a comfortable colonial style, and enjoy one of the most beautiful views in the Sabi Sand Reserve. The farmhouse and charming rooms are adorned with fascinating memorabilia and artefacts that create an ambience of understated luxury in a homey bush atmosphere.
Guests will enjoy sublime cuisine prepared by an executive chef, vintage South African wines, fireside dinners in the boma and sundowners out in the bush.
There are 3 double cottages (4 twin rooms and 2 double rooms) with en suite bathrooms. All rooms are air-conditioned and also offer the option of ceiling fans. The main farmhouse has wide verandas and an expansive lounge and dining area. Other amenities include a swimming pool, tennis court, Internet, satellite TV, and a library.
The Sabi-Sand Game Reserve borders the world-renowned Kruger National Park, but no fences intrude here - wildlife moves and migrates freely throughout the region, providing fantastic game-viewing opportunities from open, four-wheel drive vehicles. Singita offers wonderful opportunities for big five sightings; Elephant, Lion, Leopard, Buffalo and Rhinoceros.
With seven full days of game viewing, we will have ample opportunity to focus on the resident predators at Singita, especially its host of lions and leopards, all of which are well-known individually by the camp's rangers. You can expect daily sightings of predators and we will have the luxury of our long stay to fully explore the area and choose our plan of attack each day.
NOTE: Customized extensions to this safari, including Johannesburg, Cape Town, Victoria Falls and other destinations may be arranged through Eyes on Africa as desired. Ask us for further information.
The cost of this all-inclusive safari is $12,750 per person (inclusive of private round-trip air charter from Johannesburg to Singita). This rate includes all in-country ground and air transportation, single-occupancy hotel accommodation (night of June 10 in Johannesburg only), shared accommodation at Singita Castleton, and all meals and drinks as specified in the Inclusions below.
Please note: We will attempt to adhere to this itinerary as much as possible. However, certain conditions (political, climatic, environmental, cultural, or wildlife migrations) may necessitate changes in the itinerary. We reserves the right to alter any itinerary at any time, if necessary. We will attempt to notify participants of changes as far in advance as possible. Costs incurred by such changes will be the responsibility of the participant.
• Accommodation on a shared basis at Singita (single rooms are not available).
• Single accommodation at the D'oreale Grand in Johannesburg (if desired).
• 3x private safari vehicles and all private safari activities at Singita Castleton.
• One row per guest on game drive vehicles (note that the front seat next to the driver is also counted as a row for this purpose).
• Meet & Assist service on arrival in Johannesburg.
• Private round-trip charter flights from Johannesburg to Singita. (Luggage allowance is 35 kgs per person).
• Road transfers to/from the airport and the hotel in Johannesburg.
• All meals and drinks, including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs (excluding French champagne) at Singita.
• Daily laundry at Singita.
• Dinner and drinks on the first night and breakfast the following morning at the D'oreale Grande.
• The current Tourism Levies and all relevant Value Added Tax or Government Sales Tax.
What is Not Included?
• International airfare and/or other transportation between your home and Johannesburg.
• Laundry and any extras at D'oreale Grande.
• All gratuities (i.e., Singita guides and staff).
• Visas (if applicable)
• Travel Insurance.
• Personal purchases (including curios, spirit liquors, telephone calls etc.)
• Pre- and post- safari tours and meals or accommodation before or after the safari.
What Do I Do Next?
Our groups are small (maximum of 9 participants), so space is limited. If this exciting safari workshop has your name on it and you're excited by the thought of joining on this trip, then now is the time to register. Remember, there will be limited space available for this workshop and when the spots are spoken for, that's it. If you have any questions before registering, send an e-mail with any inquiries to email@example.com.